By: Sara Morris, Extra Sprinkles Photography
As a family and newborn photographer, I realize that most people dread finding clothing options for their families for their annual photo session. I often get the following questions. Can I wear prints? What colors go well together? Nothing fits me right! Is this too matchy, matchy? Add in opinionated kids of all ages and sometimes this feels like a complicated jigsaw puzzle.
I get it. I’m a busy parent just like you with two toddler kids and a husband who’s just going along with this photoshoot to make me happy. The last person that I think about when outfitting my own family is me. And this is EXACTLY why I’m giving you my tips today to make sure YOU are the first one who you outfit for your family photos! Many photographers will say to dress the mom first. I totally agree. When Mom feels confident and beautiful that all comes out in the photographs. But what I don’t often see is HOW to outfit Mom for your family session. So, I’m giving you 5 tips below on what you need to do to totally rock your outfit selection for fall this year!
1. Think about your color palette. I start with a main color and then pick complementary colors off this main one. What colors do I love to wear? What makes me feel happy? I use the chart (see the bottom of the post) as a guide to help me and I also might think about the décor of my home if I’m planning on printing one for the wall.
2. After picking colors, think about prints. Do you love wearing prints? Would you rather go solid? If you’d like to wear a print, I typically look for small sized prints. You still get something visually interesting but it’s not too bold or overpowering. *Pro Tip: ANYONE can wear a print!
3. Want to make it even more interesting? Think about fabrics of different textures. Maybe you like lace or crochet. The dress can be solid in color but having those extra details can give the overall look a little extra punch.
4. Don’t forget about layers! October can be a total gamble on the weather even leading up to your session date. Think about adding sweaters, cardigans, cute jackets, and vests! You can also consider beautiful scarves when it starts to get really cold. *Pro Tip: I provide instant hard warmers when the weather drops low so my clients can stay a little warmer while also looking cute.
5. This doesn’t need to be expensive! You can find outfits that photograph beautifully from Target, Amazon and more. Shop your closest first before going out to look for something. You probably have the base outfit, and you just need to add one or two items to make it look pulled together. Have a maxi dress you love? Then think about a cardigan, tights (for warmth!) and cute fall boots to transition it to fall. Thinking jeans and a sweater? Then add on some beautiful jewelry or a hat to polish it off.
Whatever you choose to do for your fall photographs, make sure to think about yourself first. I know that can be hard and I know we often don’t do. But I promise, you won’t regret it.
Sara Morris is the artist, photographer, and Lakeview/Lincoln Park Mom at Extra Sprinkles Photography. Her sessions are all about capturing the joy and memories of today while making the experience easy for busy parents. Join her for a family session filled with lots of laughter and tons of fun.